Samuel Murrayy

On Fri, Jan 8, 2021 at 12:33 PM, Duane wrote:
One thing I'm not clear on is whether this Paid User Proposal would be a per group fee or a per account fee.
Allow me to clarify my original suggestion:

There would be two payment routes:
1. Group owners can pay money to increase the number of "free members" that their group can have.
2. Users (i.e. people with a Groups.io account that is tied to an e-mail address) can buy a Groups.io user membership, which allows them to join groups without using up a "free member" slot.

In other words, a user whose e-mail address is foo@... and who has an account at Groups.io under the account foo@... would buy a paid Groups.io user membership, and that one payment (per year) would give him the ability to join any group (that is, any group that accepts him!) without using up a free-member slot in that group.

It was not my suggestion that users would have to pay per-member-per-group.  In fact, that it what I was trying to avoid: the problem with payment per-member-per-group is that some people are members of many, many groups, and a payment per-member-per-group would discourage people from joining more groups, and that's the opposite of what you want to happen.

Duane, you wrote "How about offering an annual membership to anyone that wants it, regardless of which groups they may be in or join" but I think that that is what my suggestion comes down to.  Charge people an annual membership fee regardless of how many groups they're in.

The problem is: how do you convince people to pay?  I suspect most folks don't care for extra features.  (Also, a specific intention of my suggestion was to allow a mechanism whereby free groups can have an unlimited number of members even though the group owner doesn't pay anything, or whereby premium groups can also have unlimited number of members while limiting the financial strain on the owner.)

Samuel