Andy Wedge

Hi Mark,

On Thu, Jan 7, 2021 at 10:11 PM, Mark Fletcher wrote:

I am concerned about how to explain and present it clearly. I also think getting the implementation right would be tricky.

It's a complex arrangement and as well as you try to explain it, I think there will be lots of people that just don;t get it.

  • In Samuel's proposal, there's potentially a lot of member management that has to be done by the owners
One of Samuel's opening comments in his message was that your current proposal puts the onus on group owners to manage membership fees.  I think with his proposed solution group owners will spend even more time trying to manage group subscriptions and determine whether members are active or not so they can potentially remove them and free up so called 'free slots' (and there have been recent topics either here or on GMF asking about tools to determine active users - no easy solution exists).

If 'free slots' are not released by cleaning out redundant subscribers then pretty much anyone else joining Groups.io will end up paying and I'm sure that will increase the financial admin somewhat.  There''s already a simple mechanism in place for taking payments per group so I'd say use that, charge a nominal fee for basic groups which will mean they're not being subsidised (as much) by Premium and Enterprise groups. it's simple, almost certainly less coding and certainly easy to explain.

Regards
Andy

  • and I wonder if we reduce/simplify that? Ideally this is something owners would not have to think about.
  • What else am I missing?