moderated Re: Simplified Donation feature #suggestion

Andy Wedge

Hi Shal

On Mon, Jan 4, 2021 at 08:13 PM, Shal Farley wrote:
Overpayment rolls over to next plan payment.
If Groups.io is holding group members' donations made on the understanding that they would be used to pay group subscription fees, what happens if a Group owner decides to close the group down in the meantime?  You could end up with lots of people demanding refunds.  I'm sure there must be lots of legal and financial rules that would need to be satisfied in order to operate in this manner.   if that's not the intention then a simpler solution (from an Admin point of view) would probably be to have members make donations. I think the downside of that though is that there is less certainty of cash flow which doesn't really help business planning.

I can understand the option to deal with group owners for payments (less people to deal with so less of an admin overhead) and I'm happy with that. I use a service and I pay for it. The trouble with saying things are 'free' is that people don't appreciate the value of what they're getting.  Personally I think there should be a charge for basic groups.  Even if Mark reversed his decision on grandfathered basic groups and said there would be a nominal $10 per year fee I bet most people would stay with Groups.io.

Andy