locked Re: Pricing Changes #update

txercoupemuseum.org

Hi Shal,

Internet operations are obviously infinitely more complex than most of us know, or want to know; and yet it behooves us group owners and moderators to widen our perception and perspective to ascertain what discussions affect how our groups operate, both now and looking into the mists of the future. I would quickly be in “deep yogurt” if I had to covey an overall perspective of all this to most of my subscribers, but you have certainly conveyed to me greater understanding of much that is “behind the curtain’ here in Oz ;<)

I am one of those who was unwilling to “learn a computer language” in order to use a personal computer, and so waited until I became “aware” of the Mac and what it represented back in 1985. Bought a 512k E (enhanced) with a 20 mb hard disk ($4,000+ in those dollars those days) and it took me a decade to fill it!

Looking back to that point in time, ignorance truly was “bliss”; and yet how each perceptive individual’s potential and ability have amplified that of our society through our investment in and use of personal computers make the time before truly look like intellectual “dark ages”. ;<)

The COVID-19 challenge perhaps best illustrates how much our technical capabilities have advanced over that period, and how little our society overall has learned to cooperate in common cause against prevailing pervasive cultural social ignorance. As Walt Kelly said in his “Pogo” comic strip: “We has seen the enemy and he is us”.

Thanks!

WRB

On Jan 1, 2021, at 1:44 AM, Shal Farley <shals2nd@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi WRB,

How is this burden less for members on “Daily Digest” than for those
on Individual messages?
The total size of data communicated may not be that much different.

But the total burden is likely less for Digest because there would be up to 12 messages represented in a single digest. So that's up to one twelfth the number of transactions between Groups.io's mail server and the member's. Each of those transactions include overhead in both processing and communication.

If we define these as “incoming”, wouldn’t the messages I send
("outgoing”?) also be a burden on FatCow?
We've got our terms reversed: I was speaking from Groups.io's point of view. That is, when you post a message that is "incoming" to the group, and when it is sent out to the members that is "outgoing" from the group. Nevermind that though (the point of view is arbitrary).

A message you send to the group does consume some resources, at FatCow and at Groups.io, but then Groups.io's resource consumption when the message is sent to the group members is multiplied by the number of members - several hundred times over in your example groups. That multiplication effect doesn't affect FatCow, except to the extent that your group has more than one member using FatCow (and then the multiplier is only the number of those members).

Shal