moderated Re: HTML format for incoming emails #suggestion

Bruce Bowman

On Thu, Dec 31, 2020 at 04:23 PM, Shahid wrote:
The font size and text alignment is lost and changed to whatever the group sets as default. Please make changes so that the group posts the message as it was sent instead of changing it.
Shahid -- First, check your group settings. If you have the "Normalize HTML Emails" box checked, uncheck it.

Beyond that, the ability to render any page as sent depends on page width, aspect ratio, and the availability of these same fonts on the receiving end (browser, mail client and/or OS). If they're not available, a font from the same "family" will be substituted.

In addition, some constructs that folks may choose to include in an email (such as iframes and inline javascript) have to be stripped so they cannot be used as vectors for malware.

I'm not saying that it couldn't be better than it is -- in particular, the stripping of benign inline styles (like that one that centers your example footer link) does not seem to be justified. Within reason, though, it's appropriate to me that groups.io continue to do whatever is necessary to ensure not only the security of the system but also the deliverability of group messages to the widest possible audience.

My $0.02,
Bruce