locked Re: Pricing Changes #update

Amazon Prime is $130 per year but I don’t think that’s at all comparable.

Sure if you go by the number of current IDs it’s huge. But some unknown and probably very large fraction would quit immediately if made to pay. There are for sure a heap ‘o inactive accounts lying around, a heap of people with multiple accounts, and a heap of people who would just plain quit. I think you’d be left with a small fraction of that figure.

On Dec 31, 2020, at 12:14 PM, Chris Jones via groups.io <chrisjones12@...> wrote:

On Thu, Dec 31, 2020 at 07:58 PM, J_Catlady wrote:
It's a huge disincentive and might destroy the business altogether.
It would be, but a simple solution would be to give every new account holder a 12 month grace period before any charge applies. In addition, I think the amount charge could be very modest; with the number of individual "Poster IDs" that are on record a $5 annual charge would bring in in excess of $20,000,000, unless I have miscounted somewhere.

I don't know what Amazon charges for a Prime account in the US but in the UK the charge is more than that per month.

I value what Groups.io has to offer and want it to be on a sound financial footing. IMHO voluntary donations simply won't generate anywhere near enough revenue.

Chris