locked Re: Pricing Changes #update

Duane

On Tue, Dec 29, 2020 at 09:52 AM, Mike Hanauer wrote:
This feels like profit creep, like bait and switch.
I don't believe I've ever felt this was the case.  Yes, things change, BUT Mark has always kept his word to existing groups.  Though he doesn't have to (and I'm sure the record keeping would be a lot simpler without it), he's managed to maintain the terms that a group agreed to when they joined up or upgraded (other than increasing features for Premium groups in some cases.)  I keep in mind that these changes would only apply to groups created after January 18.  If someone creates a group then, they agree to the terms in effect at that time.

While I'm here, I'd like to mention something I've been thinking about.  I've been operating under the assumption that those using email create the larger load on the system.  It dawned on me that it may be those online, or more evenly distributed anyway, that create the load.  While there are a lot of emails sent from the site, ~200 per second on average by my guesstimate, using the web interface results in a large load as well.  Each time someone clicks on a link, that page and it's contents must be retrieved and displayed.  While the system may handle things well on average, it's the peak load that determines what infrastructure is needed to support the site, and that has a cost.  I'll continue to support Mark and GIO as much as I can.