locked Re: Pricing Changes #update

Samuel Murrayy

On Wed, Dec 23, 2020 at 04:40 PM, Bruce Bowman wrote:
Given the vacuum of information on what it costs groups.io to send 100,000 emails (or whatever), I'm in no position to argue with the current proposal.
1. Amazon SES allows 2000 outgoing mails per day on its free tier, plus $0.12 per gigabyte.  They charge $0.10 per 1000 mails after that, but I suspect that that extra pricing is simply there to discourage people from abusing the system and does not reflect actual cost.  I know this isn't exactly comparing apples with apples, but it's one answer to your question.  If this were directly comparable to Groups.io, and if my math is correct, a 1000 member group with 100 messages per week would cost $10 per year to run (assuming 15 KB per message).  And there are ways to bring down the gigabytes, e.g. always converting attachments to links in free groups or setting messages exceeding 50 KB to moderate-always on free groups.

2. It would surprise me if the main reason for free group limits is to bring down costs.  What Mark needs (I suspect) is a way to get more paid memberships, and right now the carrot method just isn't working.

Would it at all be possible to charge not per member but per sent volume?  For example, a free 1 GB of sent volume per year, and the moderators (and/or members) can always see how much is left, and then extra $10 per GB, with certain limitations in place to ensure that people don't get charged if they don't want to.  This would be in addition to having a Premium and Enterprise package, which would naturally include certain volumes themselves, but which would be distinguished from the free groups by having additional features e.g. subgroups and direct add.

And on a related matter:  not having Files, Database and Wiki sections on free groups is counter-product6ive. I'd say, give free groups full access to e.g. Files, Database and Wiki sections **but** severely limit the size of it (e.g. 10 pages Wiki, 100 rows database, 100 MB files).  Not offering e.g. a Files section simply forces owners to find alternative storage solutions, so not having Files isn't a stick and offering Files isn't a carrot.  But if you could lull owners into getting used to a Files section and using it to its fullest extent, it eventually becomes unmissable for them, and then it is both a carrot and a stick.

Samuel