moderated Re: Allow members to mute other members #suggestion

Glenn Glazer

On 12/18/2020 15:54, Glenn Glazer wrote:
On 12/18/2020 15:47, Patrick Dell'Era wrote:
On Thu, Dec 17, 2020 at 08:02 AM, Glenn Glazer wrote:
Couldn't they just use whatever MUA they are using to filter out mail from the other person?
Of course that technique fails for members using digest subscriptions.

That's a fair point. I hate digests personally, but I recognize that others find value in them.

Best,

Glenn

But on further reflection, I think this leads to madness.

Alice and Bob don't like each other and mute each other. Both are on digest, so the system has to figure out, on a member by member basis, which subset of messages go in each digest. This is horribly complicated to implement and almost certainly not performant.

But let's say Mark gets it working.

Now, we have Charlie, another digest user who is agnostic to Alice's and Bob's little spat. He's also an email user, not a web UI user. He does the thing that digest users do that bothers me a lot: he responds to one message in the entire digest by including the digest in the body of the reply. But look! The digest contains messages from Alice and/or Bob for all to see. Is the system supposed to detect this for each mute and filter it out of replies as well?

More subtly, Charlie could easily punk them by just quoting them in his email and the system wouldn't have any To: fields to go by, for the same reasons that a MUA filter wouldn't either.

Best,

Glenn

--
PG&E Delenda Est