locked Re: Pricing Changes #update

toki

On 18/12/2020 15:29, J_Catlady wrote:
On Fri, Dec 18, 2020 at 07:18 AM, Drew wrote:
as group owners we are like Chichikov in Gogol's "Dead Souls"-- continuing
to pay a tax on the inhabitants of our estates even though they may have
"moved on" since the last census was taken years ago.
That makes me wonder (going off-topic here) if there could or should be a feature wherein we can ask members to actively confirm that they want to stay in the group.
Back in the late 90s, the recommendation for migrating from one list platform to another, was to send an email with the new subscription address for the list, to list-members, advising them that they had to go through the subscription process, and list management would not help them subscribe. A 30% loss of subscribers was about par.

Based on that advice, some list-owners sent a notice to the list every 6 to 9 months, announcing that everybody would be removed from the list, and would have to resubscribe, if they wished to continue receiving messages. More than once I subscribed to such a list, only to removed the following week, and having to resubscribe to it. Typically, such purges resulted in a loss of between 20% and 50% of the subscriber base.

In the early noughts, more than one book on mailing list management suggested a rule of unsubscribing an individual, if they had not made a post within the last 91 days. List-owners that implemented that rule discovered subscriber numbers took a nosedive, and stayed down.

List-owners for free groups may have to resort to tactics similar to those described, to stay under the maximum member mark.

On the upside, Mark did give a month's notice, for list-owners to skate in under a grandfather clause.

jonathon