locked Re: Pricing Changes #update

Drew

We are a 6,000+ membership international group going back 15 years. I have no idea how many of those members are actively reading the group; or, not to be morbid, are even still alive, but their email addresses continuing to live on...

Even though we will supposedly remain a free group I'd welcome the ability for interested subscribers to easily pay a few cents a year to subscribe, and be automatically removed if they don't pay the token fee. But there is no easy mechanism to accomplish this and no way for us to do so without spending much time and effort that could easily be valued in additional hundreds of dollars.

[ Humorous aside for literary types: as group owners we are like Chichikov in Gogol's "Dead Souls"-- continuing to pay a tax on the inhabitants of our estates even though they may have "moved on" since the last census was taken years ago. ]

Drew

On 12/18/20 05:44, Samuel Murrayy wrote:
On Thu, Dec 17, 2020 at 11:40 PM, Drew wrote:
Yes, but collecting 55 cents a year from each of several thousand
members, then unsubscribing those who don't pay, might not be so
easy to
do in practice. I sure wouldn't want that chore!
I agree, and micropayments isn't an easy thing yet, particularly internationally.
No, I think it's clear from the description that the intention is not that each member pays 55c but that the group's owners pay 55c per member out of their own pockets.  In other words, the proposed (or ideal) model of operation for such groups would be to have a committee that does fund raising (e.g. donations from long-time members who don't want to see the group die) and then pay for the group from that.
I am a member of a number of unofficial software user support groups. One has 4000 members, one 1300 members and one 1200 members (99% of them are lurkers) -- granted, these numbers have grown over a period of 5-15 years, but I don't think anyone would want to join a group where the mantra is "please don't grow".  I recently started a new software support group and I haven't done any large-scale promoting of it yet --
"word of mouth" got me to over 100 members in two weeks, but I don't expect traffic to pick up in the next month or two, and even then it may not be more than 20 messages per week.
Samuel