locked Re: Pricing Changes #update

Samuel Murrayy

On Thu, Dec 17, 2020 at 11:40 PM, Drew wrote:
Yes, but collecting 55 cents a year from each of several thousand
members, then unsubscribing those who don't pay, might not be so easy to
do in practice. I sure wouldn't want that chore!
I agree, and micropayments isn't an easy thing yet, particularly internationally.

No, I think it's clear from the description that the intention is not that each member pays 55c but that the group's owners pay 55c per member out of their own pockets.  In other words, the proposed (or ideal) model of operation for such groups would be to have a committee that does fund raising (e.g. donations from long-time members who don't want to see the group die) and then pay for the group from that.

I am a member of a number of unofficial software user support groups. One has 4000 members, one 1300 members and one 1200 members (99% of them are lurkers) -- granted, these numbers have grown over a period of 5-15 years, but I don't think anyone would want to join a group where the mantra is "please don't grow".  I recently started a new software support group and I haven't done any large-scale promoting of it yet -- "word of mouth" got me to over 100 members in two weeks, but I don't expect traffic to pick up in the next month or two, and even then it may not be more than 20 messages per week.

Samuel