moderated Re: view/change plan #bug

Art Kocsis

On 12-04-2020 13:25, Mark Fletcher wrote:
On Fri, Dec 4, 2020 at 6:53 AM Duane <txpigeon@...> wrote:
Based on your (Mark's) reply at https://beta.groups.io/g/main/message/27017 I've done a little further checking (with assistance from Shal).  It turns out that if anyone has made a payment for a group, none of the other owners can see the View/Change Plan page without entering a CC number to set themselves as payor, removing the original payor.  Until a payment is made, any owner can see the page.
Yep, you're right. I had mis-read my own source code (I blame my glasses). Here was my thought process:
- Only the person 'on the hook' to pay for the group should be able to change the group plan.
- If you want to set yourself as the person paying for the group, we need a credit card. That's how it works when you initially upgrade your group. If we don't have a credit card, we can't charge you....
Hope this makes sense.

Not completely.

While there is rational for requiring a CC to CHANGE a group's status, all owners should be able to VIEW a group's status including the name/ID of the current "payor". In addition, there should be a clear notice and distinction between just entering CC info ("You will not be charged until ...) and an actual billable transaction. There have been numerous examples of problems and confusion over payments and conversions when the original payor is unavailable.

BTW, mouse-over context sensitive help (or a help link), would be a tremendous boon the GIO UI.

Art