moderated Re: Calendar shows different times for a meeting #bug

Ry Jones

Mark,
Thanks for the fix.
Ry

On Tue, Nov 24, 2020 at 9:31 AM Mark Fletcher <markf@corp.groups.io> wrote:
Hello Ry,

On Mon, Nov 23, 2020 at 12:34 PM Ry Jones <rjones@...> wrote:
Hi,
At least one of our groups has a weird calendar issue: the time shown for events is different between refreshes. Karen has recorded a video showing several issues.

I was able to recreate the flip-flopping by refreshing the page a few times, making no edits between. See attached.

Thanks for the bug report, and thanks to Karen for taking the time to make that video; it was very helpful. There were two issues:

First, when hovering over an event in the calendar view, we display the time in the user's local timezone. But we also displayed the event's (possibly different) timezone. That's confusing and doesn't make much sense. I've removed the timezone display in the hover.

The second issue with the event times flip-flopping sometimes was caused by some of our webservers not running the latest timezone database. It looks like Brazil abolished DST in 2019; I believe the timezone database we were using on some of the machines had not been updated with this change. I've updated all of the machines, and they are all now showing the same times. This means that the time for the event that Karen referenced in her video is between 5:30pm-6:30pm Brasilia time (UTC-03:00).

Sorry you were hit with these problems; please let me know if you have any questions.

Ry Jones
Community Architect, Hyperledger