moderated Re: What is the algorithm for the display order of groups after entering a keyword search? #misc

Duane

On Sat, Nov 21, 2020 at 06:19 PM, J_Catlady wrote:
(1) Simplest quick fix for now: Remove the text "By Name" as a possible search criterion (because the results are not "By Name" relative to the search term anyway) and simply let users enter a term. The search is currently *not* "by name." Only the results are "by name" in the display order.
Although the results ARE reverse sorted by name, removing the "(by Name)" designation on the results page may prevent confusion.

(2) At least change the reverse alpha order display to alpha order and drop the criterion about upper or lowercase because it's meaningless.
It's quite possible that the order shown is the default for Elasticsearch on the database being used, so it's not a matter of dropping it, but adding a new parameter.

(4) Best solution: once a user enters a search term, let them ask for a sort by "most popular," "most active," etc., just as appears on the left now. Essentially, they could click on one of those criteria only, or a search term only, or both.
Then the problem once again becomes "What is the default results order?"  I can only speak for myself, but I seldom go beyond the initial search and usually wouldn't bother clicking on additional options.  There's no way to know which result might be the one I'm looking for, so going through the default list is fine with me.  This is where an Advanced Search button (bringing up a box or page) next to the Search box might lead some folks to dig a little deeper.