moderated Re: Group Search Sort Options? #suggestion

ro-esp

On Wed, Feb 21, 2018 at 09:52 PM, ro-esp wrote:

and if groups.io really takes off you will need sortings by worldparts and
languages...
Currently there are almost 37500 publicly listed groups, and IIRC over 80.000 groups in total. I don't know how much work it will take, nor how feasible it is, but we do need ways to narrow things down. By worldparts I'm thinking like:
Worldwide
northern, southern/eastern/western hemisphere
atlantic, pacific, australia, oceania, asia, africa, europe, mediterranean, middle east, north-america, latin america.
I envision group-owners to tick boxes for those

By "by language" I mean... well there are 7000 or so languages, but even just splitting "English only" from "everything else" would help. Obviously if groups.io starts supporting other languages, those should become searchable as well

I don't really understand why we can click "newest" but not "oldest". Newest is useful for people who regularly check for new groups that may be interesting, but if you are looking for a group about a specific topic, joining a more established one may be better.

I'm not sure whether it makes sense to have classes of groups by amount of members or by amount of messages per month. If it does we need at least 4 classes for either:
tiny-small-(average)-big-huge
dormant-quiet-(average)-busy-very busy

groetjes/ĝis, Ronaldo