Re: Problems replying to digest messages? #misc

West Coast CompaƱeros Staff

On Thu, Oct 29, 2020 at 03:45 PM, J_Catlady wrote:
BTW I never knew anything about TB before this, but when I looked it up I found that Mozilla no longer owns it. Or something. You probably know more about this than I do.
J,

You're right either way. Thunderbird now belongs to a wholly-owned subsidiary of Mozilla. I'm somewhat surprised that Groups.io members who use Thunderbird, e.g. Shal, haven't run into this problem before. Maybe, like me, they rarely if ever use the digest footer links to "Reply to Group" or "Reply to Sender." I usually reply to individual messages using e-mail and use the Groups.io web interface to reply to a digest message..

I'm more and more persuaded that this is a Thunderbird bug and not a Groups.io bug. Apple's Mail program encodes the footer "Reply to" links properly with ASCII codes. For example, spaces in the mailto: Subject line are replaced by %20. Thunderbird does not encode the links in the mailto: Subject line at all. Spaces are spaces. Since its likely that this bug comes from Thunderbird and not Groups.io, we should terminate this thread in beta.

The best workaround for your member trying to reply to a single message in a digest is for her to use the "View/Reply Online" link in the message footer. You may have to help her learn to log in to Groups.io and then point out the web interface buttons "Reply to Group" and "Private" to reply to the sender.

Robert R.