moderated Re: Can't create a freecycle group #bug

Dave Wade

Jim,

Where I live, we have both Freecycle and Freegle. Freegle was started in the
uk because some folks didn't agree with some Freecycle policies. e.g. Living
Creatures are not allowed on Freecycle but they are and anything legal is OK
on Freegle.
Whilst Freegle got off to good start it now seems to have withered and
almost died. I believe that both started by using Yahoo groups but now they
have their own dedicated systems. Freecycle is trademarked and groups have
to be properly affiliated and use the Freecycle systems, so I believe it is
correct to refuse to create groups with Freecycle in the name. I suspect
existing groups were migrated from the existing Yahoo groups but I am not
sure why they haven't been migrated to the Freecycle platform.

Given the reasons behind the creating of Freegle I suspect some kind of
internal politics, but I am sure that Freecycle will claim "ownership" of
any group that purports to use part of its name and offer re-cycling
services.....

Dave