moderated Re: Can't create a freecycle group #bug

Some time ago quite a lot of "Freecycle" groups in UK decided they wanted to
break away from the parent organisation. Presumably to avoid such legal issues,
they call themselves "Frregle" instead of "Freecycle". So far as I know (I
cannot guarantee it) the name "Freegle" is not subject to any trademark, so
that may the the way for such groups to go here.

Jim Fisher

On 21 Oct 2020 at 7:48, Mark Fletcher wrote:

On Tue, Oct 20, 2020 at 8:12 PM Duane <txpigeon@...> wrote:

Someone on GMF is having problems (re)creating a freecycle group so they
can move from Yahoo. It appears that if the word freecycle is in either
the email/name or in the title, it will return a "That address is not
valid." error. I know there are over 50 existing groups with freecycle in the
group name, so don't understand what the problem could be.

Groups.io has received letters from a law firm apparently representing the
Freecycle trademark holder in the UK, stating that a particular group with
freecycle in the name is infringing on their trademark. I have not yet
asked that group to change their name, but I may have to. To head off any
new issues, no more groups with freecycle in their name. Note, I have no
idea if the demand is legally valid or not.