moderated Re: Rewrite "From" address to match group address in certain cases when user is running Windows 10 and aol or verizon email #suggestion

Once I even noticed it was going on, I used to write them back and ask them how they were replying  privately within a thread, because we have PM’s disabled in my group and the replies were clearly within the thread. It made no sense that they could even do it. But it turned out they had no clue they were doing it and thought they were posting to the group. The problem gets exponentially worse when people start themselves replying tk the private reply, not even knowing it’s private. Threads upon threads of private conversations can be generated without anybody even being aware, including the psrticipants themselves.

This morning, the new member switched back to using her Mac and her messages are posting again.

On Oct 20, 2020, at 9:16 AM, Leeni <leeniluvsgroups2@...> wrote:

I will check the activity now to see what email addresses they are using.

When I got an email to the owner, I would write the member and tell them to resend it. Then the same thing would happen again.

I will report back my findings.

-------Original Message-------

From: J_Catlady
Date: 10/20/2020 11:05:52 AM
Subject: Re: [beta] Rewrite "From" address to match group address in certain cases when user is running Windows 10 and aol or verizon email #suggestion

On Tue, Oct 20, 2020 at 08:51 AM, Leeni wrote:
I was wondering why I have been getting a lot of messages to me as owner
It took me quite a long time to narrow this down. I ran a bunch of "reply" experiments in my group, and members were willing to be the guinea pigs. Eventually I narrowed it down to verizon or aol users on a PC. Some people in this thread (I think Bruce) helped by pointing out the problem with the Windows 10 email program regarding addresses. If you check, I think you'll find this is happening with your group members who are using verizon or aol email on PCs. They are probably totally unaware their messages aren't posting.

I would bet money this is happening in many, MANY groups all over the place and neither the owners nor the members are even aware of it. You can reply and everything looks normal. The subject of the thread looks normal, as if everything is going to and from the group. You have to look closely at the email address and/or fail to find the message(s) on the site to even know there's a problem.