moderated In group with "moderate posts from non-members" set, banning the non-member does not work #bug

I have a basic group which is set to "moderate posts from non-members." We are getting frequent messages from somebody's LinkedIn account asking to connect. I always ban these email addresses, which is one of the options when a message comes in from a non-member email address. However, I discovered today that the addresses are not being banned. They're not in the Banned Members list, and the activity log shows only that the messages were deleted.