moderated Re: Downgrading to monthly billing overcharges #bug

Bruce Bowman

On Fri, Oct 9, 2020 at 12:08 PM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
You would not start to be charged monthly until your year was up, April 24, 2021. When you switched to monthly, you should have seen a confirmation dialog that said "Switch to monthly billing at $20/month? You will be billed on 4/24/21."
There was no such confirmation dialog (that I noticed).

When you then switched to yearly billing, you should have seen a confirmation dialog that said "Switch to yearly billing at $220/year? You will be billed immediately."
Again, no. Is this done as a popup? I have a popup blocker on my browser.

For legacy premium groups, if you switch from monthly to yearly billing, you keep the legacy pricing. If you switch from yearly to monthly, it goes to the $20/month pricing. If you downgrade to free and then upgrade later, you will be at the new pricing. I believe this is consistent with how other services work (you could make the argument that switching from monthly to yearly should trigger the new pricing for consistency as well, I suppose).
A lot of groups signed up for a year of Premium in order to get transferred. Those agreements are expiring now (Oct 22), and this is a new twist that some didn't see coming.

The inquiry made in GMF was whether a legacy group could switch to monthly at $10/month. The one posing the question wanted to keep his Premium features without having quickly do some fundraising (or front the money and get reimbursed).

A related [and perhaps rhetorical] question:  If J was to change her plan to Premium Yearly (she's currently on month-to-month), would her payment be $220? To be honest, I see little reason why a group on legacy Premium shouldn't be able to freely switch between monthly and annual billing without penalty...as long as they never drop down to Basic.

I have refunded your $220 charge and rolled back your next invoice date to April 24, 2021. The refund will appear on your statement in 5-10 days. In addition, I have reverted your annual price to $110.
Thanks Mark...I was confident that you would treat me right.

Regards,
Bruce