moderated Re: Downgrading to monthly billing overcharges #bug

Hi Bruce,

On Thu, Oct 8, 2020 at 5:18 PM Bruce Bowman <bruce.bowman@...> wrote:
In response to an inquiry in GMF, I downgraded my plan from Premium yearly (legacy $110) to Premium monthly for our group ias-indy. I did this on the premise that the downgrade would not actually occur until my paid-up plan period was completed.

You would not start to be charged monthly until your year was up, April 24, 2021. When you switched to monthly, you should have seen a confirmation dialog that said "Switch to monthly billing at $20/month? You will be billed on 4/24/21."

Imagine my surprise when not only did the downgrade happen immediately, when I switched back I was immediately charged another $220!

When you then switched to yearly billing, you should have seen a confirmation dialog that said "Switch to yearly billing at $220/year? You will be billed immediately." You were then billed for a year immediately, at $220, and your next billing date was incremented from April 24, 2021 to April 24, 2022.

For legacy premium groups, if you switch from monthly to yearly billing, you keep the legacy pricing. If you switch from yearly to monthly, it goes to the $20/month pricing. If you downgrade to free and then upgrade later, you will be at the new pricing. I believe this is consistent with how other services work (you could make the argument that switching from monthly to yearly should trigger the new pricing for consistency as well, I suppose).

I have refunded your $220 charge and rolled back your next invoice date to April 24, 2021. The refund will appear on your statement in 5-10 days. In addition, I have reverted your annual price to $110.

Please let me know if there's anything I can do to make things more clear. I'm certainly not trying to fool anyone.