moderated Re: (revised) file upload notification requires pending message approvel for uploaders on mod #bug

In further testing this to see whether it applies only to moderated members, I uploaded a file as a non-moderated member and in this case, although the "notify members" box was checked, there was no notification message at all. I did this several times and no notification was ever sent, at least within about five minutes of the upload. So to summarize, I'm finding

1 If a moderated member uploads a file and checks the notification box, the notification message goes into pending (and I can't understand why it should); and
2. If a non-moderated member does the same thing, no notification is sent at all.

I've done both of these things several times and both seem to be serious bugs. What am I missing?