moderated Re: #suggestion Add a Pricing tier between Basic (free) and Premium #suggestion

Bob Bellizzi

As soon as you use words like "nonprofit"  and "donation", lots of freedom of operation fly out the window because there are very specific laws, at least in the USA at both federal and  state level that goven the use and application of those terms.  In the USA, only persons 18 years of age and under can legally solicit donations without worrying about the laws.
If you wish to solicit funds to support an ad hoc cause like the cost of a groups.io Premium group for a bunch of friends or a group of people with a common interest, it's best not to describe the venturre in the words above.
I have participated in  friends' groups who wished to raise a bit of money for someone or a worthy cause but I suggest you call it anything but a nonprofit, at lease in the USA.
By the way, an entity doesn't have to be a 501 (c)(3) to be a nonprofit but all nonprofits are subject to laws of the land, and are required to file an IRS tax return.

--

Bob Bellizzi