moderated Re: Save draft when editing message #suggestion

It is supposed to work that way for drafts of messsges, and does. So you get used to and expect that behavior. The problem is that it does *not* work that way for drafts of edits of pending messages. So if you’re editing a pending message and you leave the edit window to check something out, or to do whatever (feed your cat), when you come back it’s gone. No draft is saved. Usually I do remember to open a new window on the site if I need to do something else, because I have (to some extent) learned that my edit draft will not be there when I come back. Bug sometimes I forget.

It’s skin to the situation before message drafts were automatically saved. You can lose everything. And in a way, it is *worse* now, because you (users) have come to expect drafts to be saved, and to rely on that, so you don’t have to worry about it. But in this situation, they are not. It’s always a surprise and for consistency’s sake, if nothing else, it would be nice if they were saved.

I realize this might be tricky. For example, if saved, should the draft be saved as the editor’s draft of the original poster’s draft? Etc. But right now, this seems to be an unfortunate gaping hole through which the unsuspecting can fall.

On Sep 13, 2020, at 6:26 AM, Peter Cook <peterscottcook@...> wrote:

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't this how it's supposed to work? At least, that's how it works for me - if I'm writing a message and go to another page before sending it, the message immediately appears in my drafts.