moderated Re: Other members email addresses can be revealed by using the Directory #bug

Andy Wedge

On Fri, Aug 28, 2020 at 12:57 PM, Duane wrote:
Seems to me that an email address is needed to do that.  How would another member contact them otherwise?
It's perfectly possible to belong to a group just to read messages. The Directory allows members to contact others without knowing their email address. There's nothing in the documentation to say that if you make certain details in your profile visible to others via the Directory then you will also expose your email address.  At the very least it should be documented and preferably highlighted with a message when someone makes themself visible in the Directory (most people will not read the manual).  An alternative of course would be to remove the BCC option when sending a message via the Directory from those who do not have access to the membership list.  I would not advocate just making the membership list available to all members as that's not necessary for a group to function successfully.

Andy