moderated Re: Other members email addresses can be revealed by using the Directory #bug

paul fox

chris jones via groups.io wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 28, 2020 at 11:51 AM, Duane wrote:
>
> On Fri, Aug 28, 2020 at 02:32 AM, Andy Wedge wrote:
>
> If someone joins a group to read messages only they should not have
> their personal details revealed
>
> We are talking about the Directory, so all they have to do is not make
> their profile available to other members.
>
> Even then the Directory does not directly reveal members' email addresses.
>
> However, it is perfectly possible (and therefore, it must be asumed,
> legitimate) for a group Owner to set the Members List to be visible by all
> members, making each member's email address directly available.
>
> I'm far from certain that membership of any group brings with it the
> certainty that one's email address will remain "secret" for ever.

I suppose if you join just to *read* messages, then the Directory might
be a concerning leak. Otherwise, your email address goes out every time
you post. Every message sent from a group via email contains the poster's
address in the From: line.

I do agree that the web interface obfuscates this somewhat, and you
might be led to believe that your address is private.

paul
paul fox, pgf@... (arlington, ma, where it's 57.4 degrees)