moderated Re: Make Sticky Topic show at top of Messages view #suggestion

“Judicious” to you is “stingy” to others and vice versa. As users we got used to being able to thumb through the Messages view without any obstacles. And there’s nothing wrong with that. We adjust, as you say, to the feature. Sort of like bees adapting to flowers. Now you’re going to change the flower. It doesn’t mean the bee’s behavior in respond to the original flower was in any way “injudicious.”

I can live with this change provided that only the first message in any sticky topic is affected. That doesn’t mean I like it, and I would still prefer that it be an option. I like my Messages view straight-up, no twist.

On Aug 25, 2020, at 3:43 PM, Marv Waschke <marv@...> wrote:

I'm also in favor of consistency. I observe that when a change like this is made, user behavior changes also: moderators will get better at trimming top-heavy clusters of stickies and become more judicious about declaring a message sticky. Note to Mark: if you're not thinking about a way to put a hash table on the sticky flag, you might consider that a hash can work performance wonders pulling sparse rows from a large table.
Best, Marv