moderated Re: Retroactive Topic Locking? #suggestion #misc

Correction - an auto-locked topic stays locked forever.

On Aug 19, 2020, at 7:52 AM, J_Catlady via groups.io <j.olivia.catlady@...> wrote:

Exactly. Turning off the setting is currently the *only* way to selectively unlock timed-out topics, even just one of them, that you want to reopen later, sometimes even much later. For me, this makes the feature unusable.

Of course the behavior is @preferable” to the alternative you propose. But for the feature to be usable over the long term (at least one person in this thread is new to it and hasn’t experienced the problem), there should be a different alternative - the alternative of allowing a topic to be selectively marked as “don’t time me out - have been selected as reopened.” (If that makes that particular topic immune to auto-locking fine. The mod can relock it by hand later if so desired.)

It’s because of this bug (and I’m still calling it a bug) that I eventually had to stop using the feature altogether. And trust me: there will eventually be mods, and probably are some, perhaps many of them, who manually unlock topics and find them locked the next day, think they’re going crazy bdvsuse they remember having locked it and lock it again, etc,  and do this repeatedly before they either report a false bug (“unlocked topic came back locked”) or (less likely) figure out that it’s a locking time-out and report *that* as a bug or a suggestion (as I’ve done before, at least once), or quit using the feature. Or resign themselves to the inconvenient truth that kicked topics are locked forever.

On Aug 19, 2020, at 6:21 AM, Bruce Bowman <bruce.bowman@...> wrote:

On Tue, Aug 18, 2020 at 11:21 PM, J_Catlady wrote:
It does not allow a moderator to manually unlock any topic that times out. If you unlock it by day, the feature [sic] goes back in that night like a sneaky little thief and locks it again based on the timestamp. This is a serious downside, if not actually a bug (I would call it one).
J -- Go back into settings, turn it back off, and your unlocked topics will remain unlocked.

I believe this behavior is preferable to having multiple topics mysteriously fail to lock when you change the group setting, for no other reason that you manually locked/unlocked them at some time in the past. Be careful what you wish for.

Regards,
Bruce