moderated Re: account display name vs group display name change issues #misc

Maybe the bug, or issue, is in how groups.io determines whether or not the user’s Display  Name in a group has been customized. In this case, it was customized not by the user but by a moderator. It seems the criterion for whether or not it’s been customized must be something other than “do they match.” So maybe it’s looking for the existence of a change action, and is considering only changes by the user as well as group moderators. This is a different animal from the rest of the group profile in that moderators, as well as the user themselves, can make changes to it.

On Aug 15, 2020, at 1:15 AM, J_Catlady via groups.io <j.olivia.catlady@...> wrote:

If that’s the intention, then I agree that this is a bug. Not sure whether it’s a bug or whether that documentation section is incorrect as applied to the Display Name. I’d always thought that the intention was for changes to the Display Name to propagate down regardless of prior customization, but glad to hear I might have been wrong.

We went through something like this awhile back with harvesting of.the name from the email address. Currently, the email name won’t be harvested if the Display Name has already been set. But previously, groups.io would take the name from any email and slap it into the Display Name wily nily. So this is similar and should also be fixed.

On Aug 15, 2020, at 12:23 AM, Andy Wedge <andy_wedge@...> wrote:

On Sat, Aug 15, 2020 at 05:30 AM, J_Catlady wrote:
I would do away with the ability to edit display names from the account page altogether.
No, I disagree.  The issue here is that display name changes in the account profile are propagated to (sub)group profiles regardless of whether a value has already been set in the (sub)group.  This is in contrast to how other profile fields are handled and contrary to what the highlighted note in point 5 of section Customizing your Groups.io account profile and individual group profiles in the Members' Manual states:

Note: Changes you make on this page also are applied to the corresponding fields in your individual group profiles unless you have customized those fields in those profiles.

So, this is actually a bug.

Andy