moderated Re: account display name vs group display name change issues #misc

Andy Wedge

On Sat, Aug 15, 2020 at 05:30 AM, J_Catlady wrote:
I would do away with the ability to edit display names from the account page altogether.
No, I disagree.  The issue here is that display name changes in the account profile are propagated to (sub)group profiles regardless of whether a value has already been set in the (sub)group.  This is in contrast to how other profile fields are handled and contrary to what the highlighted note in point 5 of section Customizing your Groups.io account profile and individual group profiles in the Members' Manual states:

Note: Changes you make on this page also are applied to the corresponding fields in your individual group profiles unless you have customized those fields in those profiles.

So, this is actually a bug.

Andy