moderated Re: Changes to new basic groups #update

On Wed, Aug 12, 2020 at 06:11 PM, RCardona wrote:
Only about 10% of our membership made a donation, but sufficient funds were raised to fund the membership group for 2+ years.
And therein lies the problem. On your own admission you have 90% freeloaders.

Chris
I think using the term "Freeloaders" is inappropriate here. Chris, you apparently have a group of younger, affluent, working members. There are a number of groups that have a certain fraction of retired members. They may be on fixed incomes or not. From the description, I would suggest you know nothing about the makeup or purpose of RC's group, and you are making assumptions that show your lack of understanding.

I have a few of my groups that I took Premium and I pay for those myself. Part of the reason is that I have a number of members who are barely on the internet (as I term it, they are in the extreme right hand lane of the information highway), but the experiences and information they bring to the group to share are priceless. Members bring to the table what they have. Some have vast experience to share. Some come seeking that knowledge and have the ability to help support that exchange. And some come seeing information and guidance.

Implying that any member is a "freeloader" without knowing the specific situation is, in my mind, out of line, especially given the state of public decency, or lack thereof, in public discourse today. Such comments will get you pigeonholed in some people's minds and can harm your credibility in the long run.

Dano