locked Re: Calendar is live

Mark,

When calendar events are created, we store the timezone of the person
creating the event as the event's timezone.
That's an excellent default, but in a geographically dispersed group the member creating the calendar event may not be at the location of the physical event - such users may need a way to specify the event's timezone independent of their own.

Every event reminder email is customized to the particular
subscriber's timezone.
Wow. I'm not sure how many unique time-zone jurisdictions there are (many more than 24 I know) so that's a lot of custom engraving on the outbound reminders. And what happens to the reminder in the archive? Use the event's time zone?

I had been thinking about whether that would be a good idea or not. The problem I see is there are two distinct use cases. One kind of event happens everywhere at once (a conference call, a webinar, a comet touchdown) and so for those having the date/time adjusted to each member's local time makes sense. And in this day and age you may not be wrong to assume that most events discussed in an email list will be of this type.

The other kind of event is tied to a place (a concert, a seminar, a flash mob) where the members are supposed to be in physical attendance. For those one would not expect the event reminder to be adjusted - just as one's airline ticket always shows your departure and arrival times in the local time of the relevant airport -- you will be there, then, in that local time.

And then I suppose there are hybrid events: where one might attend physically or via telecommunications. Meh. I guess as long as the text of the reminder message says what time zone was used to express the time then one can always figure it out.

--Shal