moderated Re: option to set maximum attendees for calendar events

Andy Wedge

On Sat, Jul 18, 2020 at 04:24 AM, Nancy Funk wrote:
Has there been any move toward allowing moderators and owners the ability to manage RSVPs and waitlist?
Hi Nancy,

I'm glad you raised this again and I was about to do the same. I first raised a query about managing RSVP events on GMF in January 2019  That was followed up with an email request to support (ticket 8127) and a suggestion here on Beta.  I responded to one of your previous queries about this too in July last year showing that Mark had confirmed it was on the 'to do' list in the January.

I agree with you that with current restrictions about meetings with different group sizes, having the ability to effectively manage attendee and waiting lists would make Groups.io a more attractive option. I have advised members in my group who have suggested using RSVP events not to bother as it's not possible for the organiser to easily and effectively manage them.

I have done some testing recently to remind myself of some of the issues and using three different accounts (members A, B & C):

  • Member A creates an RSVP event with a maximum attendees set to 1
  • Member A confirms they will attend their own event (and so takes the only space currently available)
  • Member B says they will attend and they are put on the waitlist with a message saying they are at the front of the queue
  • Member C says they will attend and they are put on the waitlist with a message saying they are at the front of the queue (they cannot both be at the front of the queue!)
  • Member A changes the maximum number of attendees for the event from 1 to 2.
  • Member B gets an email message saying they have been added to the event and member C stays on the waitlist
  • If member A knows that member B cannot attend the event, but member B does not update their RSVP status, A cannot remove B from the event, freeing up space for C
  • If member A knows that member C cannot attend the event, but member C does not update their RSVP status, A cannot remove C from the waitlist
  • Member A reduces the maximum number of attendees from 2 to 1 - the event is now oversubscribed but there's no message to member A to confirm this
  • Member B updates their RSVP status to say they will not attend and they are removed from the attendee list (leaving C on the waitlist)
  • Member B updates their RSVP status to say they will attend and they are placed on the waitlist (at the front of the queue!!)
  • Member A increases the maximum number of attendees from 1 to 2 and member B gets an email message to say they have been added to the event (leaving C still on the waitlist)
So, it also seems that a member's priority when being taken from the waitlist to the attendee list is based upon when they first RSVPd.

As well as having the ability to effectively manage the attendee and waitlists (by adding, removing and reordering entries where needed), it would be helpful for those on the waitlist to know what position they are in (by being updated when it changes).  If a member knows they are genuinely near the front of the queue (and can see progression towards it) they are more likely to stay in the queue. If they join a waitlist at, for example, position 50 when there are only, say, 20 places available, then at least they know they may be unlikely to get on the event and they can go and do something else - it helps manage expectations.

Hopefully we can get some movement on this sooner rather than later.

Regards
Andy