moderated Re: unable to add groups.io calendar to google calendar by URL #bug #fixed

David McBride

That's great to hear.  I was half expecting to hear that it was a user error on my part. When will the fix get deployed?

David

On Wed, Jul 8, 2020 at 9:28 PM Mark Fletcher <markf@corp.groups.io> wrote:
On Wed, Jul 8, 2020 at 9:25 PM David McBride <dmcbride@...> wrote:
I tried adding a groups.io calendar to google calendar by URL.  I retrieved the following URL from the TSC sub-group at lists.opnfv.org: [link removed by mod]

Unfortunately, the events are not appearing on my google calendar.  I tried removing and re-adding the calendar multiple times.  In some cases, I waited one or more days to see if there was some sort of time delay.  Also, note that I have followed this process for multiple calendars in the past, so this is not something new to me.

After much testing and trial and error, I think I've fixed the problem. It was a combination of two issues. One is that we were not properly escaping some characters when generating the ICS file. The other issue is that it appears Google Calendar cannot handle colons in event descriptions. So, we now replace colons with spaces when we generate ICS files.

David McBride
Release Manager
Linux Foundation Networking (LFN)
Email: dmcbride@...