moderated Re: Notify Members checkboxes #update

Chris Jones

On Tue, Jun 23, 2020 at 03:03 AM, Shal Farley wrote:
For edit I'd say the member deserves to know (and you likely deserve to fend off such questions). Maybe move too (if not notified the member might look and not find his/her content, and believe that it was deleted). I'm more willing to concede on delete: as J points out that's already a fact with messages.
I know that quite a lot of water has flowed under the bridge in the 7 days since the above was written, but...

This morning a member of the group I moderate uploaded some photos into an album he had created especially for the purpose.

He did not look to see if there was already a suitably titled album into which he could upload more photos.
He did not compose an album title that properly reflected the contents other than in a sense that was so broad as to be meaningless. .
He did not choose to notify the membership of anything, either by using the checkbox or by posting a separate message about his uploads.

He is not unique in taking a rather haphazard approach to making sure that uploads "make sense". I only found out about this uploading because I was looking in the Activity Log for something else entirely.

While I can understand the point about members being informed about edits, relocations and so on I cannot see any reason why I should have to "defend" myself for wanting to maintain some sense of order in our Photos section or anywhere else, especially when we have had a group wiki page about this sort of random uploading in existence for months.

I am still firmly of the view that moderators not only have the right but a duty to try to maintain order in a group's limited storage without having to explain their actions in detail on each and every occasion. It's also the sort of problem where the longer it's left the harder it is to do.

Chris