moderated Re: Testing notifications #misc

Chris Jones

On Fri, Jun 26, 2020 at 12:03 PM, Andy Wedge wrote:
By virtue of the fact that notifications by email are effectively being held back by the combiner then yes, they are being delayed. If the combiner wasn't there, they would be sent immediately.
Ah; I see the point you are making.

However, having thought about it over lunch, I have come to the conclusion that from my perspective it really doesn't matter. I honestly cannot see why a delay - reportedly 4 minutes - makes any difference at all. If OTOH it helps cut down the number of individual notifications about the same subject then I'm all for it, and that explains why I suggested in my earlier post that 4 minutes might not be long enough.

A notification delay doesn't even make it into the list of Top Twenty Things That Annoy Me. (FWIW nothing about Groups.io makes it into that list!)

I am "out" for some of the time on most days, but of course that means I don't see things that happen on Groups.io in real time. It really doesn't matter if I have to play catch - up later.

In what way is life diminished by any such delay?

Chris