moderated Re: New notifications proposal #misc

Thomas Gruber

Hi J,
the setting for always opening in private mode is here:
Open Menu - Options - Privacy & Security
scroll down to History
select „use custom settings for history“ - there’s a check box „Always use private browsing mode“. uncheck that - I would assume it’s checked for you

That should stop the automatic private browsing and then also allow notifications.
Thomas

Am 17.06.2020 um 23:35 schrieb J_Catlady <j.olivia.catlady@...>:

Thomas,
Thanks! This restriction needs to be in the documentation!!! I'll try to get out of private windows and see what happens.

On Wed, Jun 17, 2020 at 2:33 PM Thomas Gruber <computerhusky@...> wrote:
hi J
1. + 3.: I think they’re not relevant for notifications. I tried popup blocker on or off in my Firefox, and notifications worked in both cases. I haven’t tested  „do not track“ but that shouldn’t really affect notifications.
2. - YES! I just tested it - when I use private browsing, the notification settings page says „notifications are not supported in this browser“. When I use not private, it works.

No idea why your Firefox always starts in private mode.
Kind regards
Thomas

Am 17.06.2020 um 23:21 schrieb J_Catlady <j.olivia.catlady@...>:

In the cogniscenti's esteemed opinions here, could any of the following be what's making groups.io say that my Firefox browser doesn't support notifications?

1. In my FF privacy settings, "Send websites a “Do Not Track” signal that you don’t want to be tracked" is set to "Always"
2. I always use private windows in Firefox, for some reason (when I open a new window, it automatically is a private window - for some reason, I can't easily figure out how to change this, but could figure it out if this could be the issue)
3. Block pop-up windows is enabled (actually I tried unchecking that but it had no effect, so this one is doubtful)