locked Re: First Impressions of Groups.io

Ian,

On Fri, Nov 7, 2014 at 2:42 AM, Ian Gillis <tessel.bas@...> wrote:

Good. I've got a Yahoo group for which I created a parallel Facebook Group. My intention was for people to tinker with FB to see if they liked it. The FB group now gets much more traffic and has attracted twice the membership. One reason is that the few "generators of information" are encouraged by the "like" feedback - they know that their efforts have not been in vain. Whereas they could generate‚Äč an enormously useful post on Yahoo but become totally discouraged by the feeling that no-one had read or appreciated it.

You're not the first person who's said their FB group gets significantly more traffic than their Yahoo Group. I'm trying to understand the reasons why that seems to be the general case. Is it just a function of FB having massive traffic? Or do their groups have a set of features or are set up in a particular way that encourages this? I think you're right that Likes improve usage, for example.