moderated Re: Reporting a pending subscriber #misc

Chris Jones

On Tue, May 5, 2020 at 11:03 PM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
I added a feature where you could report someone who had applied to your group that you thought was a spammer, would you use that feature?
Yes I would, but it might be of limited utility. Only very rarely do we get "suspect" applications, and they never respond to the Pending Subscription mesage. The last time that I am aware of was back in January when there was a small rash of applications from common IP addresses that was flagged up on GMF here. (The topic ran on for 202 messages!) As things stand few applications come from email addresses that just don't look right.

. Are there other tools I could provide to help weed these jerks out?
One idea that springs to mind is to add a function to the on - line moderation UI for Report as Spam. How easily the equivalent function could be provided for email moderation I won't pretend to know. Obviously that would be of no help for groups that run unmoderated. A further option could be to add Report as Spam to the "More" hamburger so that obvious spam could be reported by just one or two clicks; that might help those unmoderated groups.

If I really wanted to go on a spammer hunt I would use the Activity log; on the group I moderate (which does not allow non - members to post) the spam is abundantly clear both from the sender's garbage email address and the supposed subject line, but of course there is no way of reporting it as spam from there, even assuming we go to look. I suspect that as this spam happens in sudden bursts and then stops for a while that it is being stopped by spam - killers running in the background.

One thing that might help is for the applicants' IP addresses to appear on the web UI; I know it is sent in the email version but cross - referencing web UI and emails is a bit tedious. The downside to trying to add it to the web UI is that that page is already cramped when using a 4:3 display unit and adding IP addresses would only make that much worse. (See here for previous post about this!!)

Chris