moderated Re: Site updates #changelog

John Wirtz SF

Not wishing to teach old dinosaurs new tricks, as an ex Technical Information Manager in the rail industry, it is absolutely vital to apply version control to the user manual to capture updates.

I suggest the following control measures:
1 - Put the version control box at the beginning of the document
2 - Make sure version ,date and author is included upon every modification

Designations for versions:
Original version (current version).  v1, v2, v3, etc  These are published documents made available to all users.

Draft Versions: v1.1, v1.2, 1.3 , etc.  These version could be held in the docs folder on the beta site for review and comment.
Once draft version is approved for publication this invokes an up-reving of the main users document.

Keep an maintain Change Log  or alternatively, use a revision system like the one provided in M/S Word to track changes.  Please note, the change log does not detail the detail of the change but merely records the location of the change.  i.e. page no and paragraph.

I would be happy to assist with this process if necessary.

Regards

John