moderated Re: Member Data Improvements request #suggestion

John Wirtz SF

I’m no database developer but un-defined fields could cause problems as they would be likely contain incompatible data from group to group, i.e. numbers, text, etc.

Normally, when setting up field properties, it is wise to specify the type of field content.

My rationale is that most people will be happy to supply First and Lastnames along with their email addresses.  Anymore then that (addresses etc) become more controversial from a data protection point of view.

The “mandatory” is easy,.  In the field properties, one can set an option to not a allow a ZERO VALUE.  Just needs a toggle to switch it on or off in line with the group owner’s preference.

Anyway, over to the developers….

John
SFSS Group

From: main@beta.groups.io <main@beta.groups.io> On Behalf Of Duane
Sent: 07 April 2020 20:26
To: main@beta.groups.io
Subject: Re: [beta] Member Data Improvements request #suggestion

On Tue, Apr 7, 2020 at 11:57 AM, John Wirtz SF wrote:

Desirable additional fields would be

Something that I just thought of.  Instead of having dedicated fields added, how about having 5(?) extra fields in the member record that could be used by group management for whatever purpose they want.  (It would be up to them to keep a list of what it represents.)  I'm sure there are some groups that would want 30, but 5 seems like a reasonable number and can contain a lot of information if used wisely.  That also might make it more likely to be implemented since it could cover a lot of applications instead of a few specifics.  I don't know how difficult it would be to make them mandatory for a group where they're used though.

Thanks,
Duane

Join main@beta.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.