moderated Re: Please allow non-premium groups to "confirm" new members #suggestion

I am remembering the bad old days before I made my main group a premium group, and all the hassles we had with NC members. It's happening all over again - having to post huge warnings on the home page telling people they have to respond to TWO emails, trying to contact people outside the system to tell them to check their inbox and spam folders, etc etc etc. I remember that back then, before I had a premium group, I thought the situation was unacceptable. I got over it and forgot all about it after making my group premium, because we could confirm our own members. Now it's happening all over again and I'm repeating that I'm finding the situation unacceptable. Something, anything, needs to be done.

On Thu, Mar 19, 2020 at 11:25 AM Leeni <leeniluvsgroups@...> wrote:
The system doesn't have to keep track of whether or not a member returned a questionnaire. I use a pending membership questionnaire in my groups and I, the owner keeps track to see if one was returned. When I see they returned it, I approve the member.

After 2 days I do a search in my email by their email address to make sure I haven't overlooked them sending it back. If they didn't send one back to me, I send them another.

After that if they don't send it back, they are not accepted but can reapply providing they send that questionnaire back.

Leeni

-------Original Message-------

From: J_Catlady
Date: 3/19/2020 12:29:33 PM
Subject: Re: [beta] Please allow non-premium groups to "confirm" new members #suggestion

My preference as well but may not really be doable, since it would require the system to keep track of whether or not a member returned a questionnaire. I think, though, that the group approving a member should be good enough. (Anticipating Shal: some groups may just approve everyone, even possible spammers etc. But I think that scenario is unlikely. Anticipating Shal: it's not unlikely. Etc. etc. etc.) I think at this point it might be best to take the lesser of all evils, which would be to eliminate some of this "confirm your membership" stuff wherever possible.

On Thu, Mar 19, 2020 at 10:24 AM Duane <txpigeon@...> wrote:
On Thu, Mar 19, 2020 at 11:51 AM, J_Catlady wrote:
if the group requires a response to a questionnaire and receives a response, that should be sufficient to confirm the member.
This would be my preference for a change to the system.