moderated Re: After deleting member, that member can't request re-subscription (gets "That email addr already registered") #bug

On Tue, Mar 3, 2020 at 9:23 AM Jim Avera <jim.avera@...> wrote:
On Mon, Mar 2, 2020 at 01:50 PM, Duane wrote:
AFTER they log in, they should click the Apply for membership button.  All appears to be working as it should be.
No, the user was offered an "Apply for Membership" button, and clicking it should apply for membership.

I just tested this. Click the Apply button, enter your (existing) email address, and it comes back with an error saying that email address exists and that you need to Log In. Clicking the Log In link in that error message gets you to the login screen, where after you enter your password, the group application flow continues as if you had previously been logged in, and your application is submitted. Is this not what you saw?

OTOH, one valid reason to force the user to login to the old account, would be if simply having a GIO account is intended to prevent anyone else from submitting subscription requests in your name.  That's nice, but I would rather there be an explicit "Lock out new subscription requests while not logged in" feature; because doing that by default leads to an unpleasant experience for naive users.

I'm not saying the current Join flow is the best, and I'm certainly open to suggestions for improving it, but having an option and defaulting it to allowing any rando to use your email address to apply to any group is a recipe for abuse.