moderated Re: Change DMARC behavior for p=none #misc

On Thu, Feb 20, 2020 at 12:31 PM Lena via Groups.Io <Lena=lena.kiev.ua@groups.io> wrote:

I'm objecting to this. This would munge From for everybody. It'd be disruptive, and for what? What's the sense? p=none means no rejection. People (including me) make DMARC records with p=none in the belief that some large receivers consider messages passing DMARC as less likely spam, but we don't want the DMARC disruption, so p=none is deliberate and permanent.

In my experience, people who are interested in adding a DMARC record for their domain start with setting one up with p=none. Then they go through and audit the reports on their domain. They see that we are sending email with unmunged From lines, and contact us asking us to fix our problem. This happened twice this past week and has happened on a somewhat regular basis over the past year or two.

That said, I've rolled back the DMARC change that I had pushed earlier today; we are once again not re-writing From lines for p=none.