moderated Re: Restrict "Set Moderator Privileges" Permission #suggestion #done

Glenn Glazer

Wow, I did not get any of that at all from Chris' email.  Discussing how GMF works is objectively off-topic for beta, which is to discuss features for groups.io.

Best,

Glenn

On 2/16/2020 12:14, txercoupemuseum.org wrote:
“...wildly off - topic for beta”.  Ahhh, the not-so-hidden sneer of the superior to the inferior.  The polite way to remind someone to not forget their “place" in the overall scheme of things and demand “rights” to speak as necessary to the intended purpose.

When the “guardians” within GMF act as advocates or so as discourage empirical discussion, who guards the guardians”? Only [beta] and Groups.io can intervene when and if that becomes necessary.  Do we, mere owners, REALLY need ask for that to be a [beta] hashtag?  If so, consider that done right now by me.

We are reminded again and again that GMF is “peer to peer” and not part of Groups.io.  It doesn’t always exhibit that “floor and feel”.  “Position posts” by a moderator or founder are not inherently more credible.

No one has proposed moderators are not necessary.  They need to remember their function is that of police, not judges.  They should NOT intimidate verbally nor act with conspicuous bias.  In “peer to peer” debate they should leave their “official function and uniform” at the door and come in as intellectually naked as the rest of us.  ;<)

Best!

WRB

—

On Feb 16, 2020, at 1:23 PM, Chris Jones via Groups.Io <chrisjones12@...> wrote:

On Sun, Feb 16, 2020 at 06:37 PM, Charles Roberts wrote:
The GMF is supposed to be a place for Owners to go to seek help.  <snip>  Supposed to be Owners helping Owners, but rarely is a question answered by someone other than a "Moderator".
Although this is wildly off - topic for beta one reason is that many Group Owners on GMF only go there to pose a question and look at the responses; they don't go there to try to help others and generally see what is going on. They are only interested in their own problems and not anyone else's.

Take away the moderators and see what happens...

Chris

--
PG&E Delenda Est