moderated Re: use either User Name or Display Name consistently in banning/banned list and removal/past members list #suggestion

The bottom line seems to be that if you are going to ban a member, you better know it at the time you remove them. That's because if you remove first and later ban, you get the display name mismatch described here. But if you simply ban, which removes the member too, the system does not "forget" their group-specific display name, and it uses that for all log entries. Banning alone (rather than removing first, banning second) also does not replace their group-specific display name with their default display name in their historical member page.

I submit that this is an inconsistency. It should not matter whether you remove first and ban later, or OTOH simply ban. The results should be the same.