moderated Re: A 554 Bounce code not recognized as bouncing on first occurrence #bug #fixed

Chris Jones

On Thu, Feb 6, 2020 at 12:17 PM, John Pearce wrote:
I'm still not clear on the anomaly you are referring to
Unless I am much mistaken (always possible!) the anomaly is that while the individual member's Email Delivery History appears to be correct the group - wide Activity log can show a contiguous list of several bounces for the same member that cannot be correlated with message traffic within the group.

I haven't looked to see if this phenomenon is apparent on any member subscriptions that are set to Special Messages only or if it can also occur with those with less restricted settings.

If I get the chance I might try a further analysis later, but as I said previously my main references are the individual's Activity and Email Delivery logs; as it would be perfectly normal to have Special Notices only as a setting if the person concerned interacted with a group (or groups, plural) using the web UI. If I found a member with a serious bounce problem but with evidence of recent posting activity my initial instinct would be to leave the membership in place and try to investigate further.

That said in most if not cases recently examined the "554.30 account disabled" report is always accompanied by a total lack of "recent" activity, where there is no sign of any posts having been made in the last 5 years or even more.

Chris