moderated Re: A 554 Bounce code not recognized as bouncing on first occurrence #bug #fixed

On Wed, Feb 5, 2020 at 08:27 AM, John Pearce wrote:
Are these from Yahoo
Yes
does is say 554.30 This mailbox is disabled
Yes

So any bounces previous to the fix did not show up in the bouncing member list as the frequency of once a month was not enough to trigger bounce processing.
Exactly, and that's why this is showing up only now. The multiples are probably because it was the first of the month and group guidelines are sent out on that date, mostly as special notices, and she is a special-notice member in my group (and probably the others).

Then the frequency is reset because there were not enough bounces within a few days.  So they would never have gotten the blue "B" in the first place.  That is the change, that they show up with a blue B now and are placed in actual bounce status

Yes. I am intimately familiar with the bounce handler. All of that is correct, and that's why only now does the member show up (finally) as bouncing, despite month upon month of these bounces. Too much time in between.

I've sent a bug report, which you may have already seen. I think the bug, finally recognized only now because of the "perfect storm" of 554 bug fix and monthly group guidelines, is that the bounce handler should not create a new log entry in a group "is bouncing" if the member is already marked as bouncing there.